I really love a good veggie burger, but I don’t always love what they are filled with. After making quinoa kale, sweet potato cakes a few times and loving the recipe, I decided to modify that recipe into a bean and rice burger.
Makes 12 burgers
1 1/2 cups cooked wild and brown rice (or brown rice, white rice, or quinoa)
2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups cooked orca beans (or black beans)
1/2 cup oat flour, brown rice flour or almond meal
1 cup grated sweet potato
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons finely diced onion or scallions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tahini
1-2 Tablespoons dried herbs
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar, balsamic etc)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour or your favorite GF four (or regular all-purpose flour for a non-GF version)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or so to thicken.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl, including the flax mixture. Stir well until the mixture comes together.
- Shape mixture into patties with wet hands. Pack tightly so they hold together. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip patties, and bake for another 10-15 minutes until browned and firm.