Thanks to my yoga pal Ellen for sharing this inspiration! Thick, creamy, lightly spicy, perfect winter soup.
makes 4-6 servings
• 1/3 cup raw cashews
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil *optional
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 (14oz.) can light coconut milk or non dairy milk
• 2 tablespoons curry powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon evaporated cane sugar *optional, I tend to skip this
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• salt, to taste
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, parley or scallions for garnish
Put the cashews in a blender with 3/4 cup water and blend for 2 minutes until smooth + creamy.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion and saute until golden. Quickly add the garlic and stir for one minute. Add the cauliflower, non dairy milk, cashew milk, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and salt as needed. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender or blender/food processor until the desired consistency is reached. Return to the pot and reheat if serving hot. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the fresh herbs before serving.
Optional add ins: avocado, pumpkin seeds, raw cashews, hemp seeds.