These are the cookies of your childhood modified to be vegan and/or gluten free. The best part about vegan baking is also eating the dough without fear of egg related bacteria-which means eating too much cookie dough. This one is especially good!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons Earth Balance butter sticks, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp egg replacer +6 Tbsp water -or- 2 Tbsp flax seed meal + 6 Tbsp water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour -or- Gluten Free all purpose flour + 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked) I use BRM extra thick rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins-or- 1/2 cup raisins + 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl or stand mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy. Add egg replacer and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.